Our Church is Going Green!
The Church of the Good Shepherd is undertaking a “Green Church Initiative”. We are dedicated to sharing our love for creation through stewardship of the Earth.
Thanks to our forward-thinking Property Committee, the Church of the Good Shepherd has already undertaken many valuable steps in this direction:
- The boilers that heat our Parish Hall and offices were replaced with more efficient ones.
- We conduct regular boiler maintenance for optimal performance.
- All thermostats are locked for better temperature control
- Installed a new high-end commercial dishwasher that:
- Cleans up to 27 racks per hour using 0.65 gallons of water per rack
- Sani-Sure feature and built-in booster heater for proper rinse water temperatures
- Auto-fill, one-minute and forty-seven second automatic cycle, and de-liming cycle
- Stainless steel construction with an air insulated design to retain heat
- All incandescent light bulbs have been replaced with LED (light-emitting diode) bulbs. LED bulbs last at least 10 years, if not longer, while incandescent bulbs typically last one year on average.
This summer we embarked on a “green endeavour” for our coffee hour. Our hosts are using non-paper dishware: ceramic dishes instead of paper plates; coffee mugs instead of styrofoam cups, etc. We scrape off our plates, and place them in the dishwasher racks stationed by the bookcases. The racks are placed in our brand new dishwasher that cleans in under 2 minutes.
The Vestry is grateful to all of our Coffee Hour hosts and continues to explore ways to streamline this effort and “go green” with ease and grace. We appreciate everyone’s support and welcome ideas. Please contact Diane Wall and Lauren Kaltwasser or any Vestry member with your suggestions.
Almighty God, in giving us dominion over things on earth, you made us fellow workers in your creation: Give us wisdom and reverence so to use the resources of nature, that no one may suffer from our abuse of them, and that generations yet to come may continue to praise you for your bounty; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.