Good Shepherd and Pitman Public Works are working together to collect your unwanted, torn, stained textiles. Simply place these items in the bin marked “Textiles” in the Parish Hall. Pitman Public Works will collect them periodically.
Donatable textiles include:
|· Clothing*||· Sheets||· Curtains|
|· Shoes*||· Stuffed Animals||· Tablecloths|
|· Sneakers*||· Towels||· Rugs|
|· Quilts||· Bedspreads||· Pillows|
* Please donate items you consider “unwearable”.
Please make sure to wash your items first!
WHY RECYCLE TEXTILES?
- Decreases the use of natural resources, such as water used in growing crops and petroleum used in creating new clothing and textiles
- Decreases the need for chemicals used in manufacturing new textiles and the pollution caused by the manufacturing process
- Protects the environment by keeping these items out of landfills
- Saves trash disposal tipping fees which saves tax dollars
HOW ARE RECYCLED TEXTILES USED?
- Sent to developing countries
- Turned into wiping cloths, which are used in a variety of industries and businesses
- Processed back into fibers and turned into paper, yarn, insulation, carpet padding, and other items